Re: [alpine-devel] Avoiding bloat for Lua 5.1/5.2 modules

From: Ted Trask <ttrask01_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 16:57:20 +0000 (UTC)

Now that Lua 5.3 is officially released, I just finished upgrading ACF to work with Lua 5.2. :/
Mostly I updated a bunch of packages to create and depend on subpackages for Lua 5.1 and Lua 5.2 support. This included some minor code updates. The most difficult change was forking lua-subprocess to properly support Lua 5.1 and Lua 5.2. The most significant change for Alpine Linux was to modify the haserl package. Two subpackages were created to install separate haserl binaries with Lua 5.1 and 5.2 support. The /usr/bin/haserl file is now a symlink to haserl-lua5.2. Since ACF is based upon haserl, installs based upon edge will now use Lua 5.2 for ACF. The change to haserl could present backward compatibility issues with other haserl scripts and should be noted in the release notes for Alpine Linux 3.2.
Please test and let me know if you find any problems.
Ted
PS. Wow, just realized while writing this email that the thread is over a year old. :(
PPS. ACF is no longer blocking the official switch from Lua 5.1 to Lua 5.2. So, we can possibly move toward making Lua 5.2 the default on Alpine Linux 3.2.
PPPS. If you're wondering about Lua 5.3 support, the current blocker is haserl, which doesn't build with Lua 5.3.