Mail archive

[alpine-devel] Alpine ARM images

From: Timo Teras <>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 09:07:08 +0200

I'm hoping that we can start generating ARM-images for other boards
than Raspberry Pi soon. It seems this is a bit messy area, and many
other distros just have a wiki + separate downloads for the boot
loader. Though, I would like us to ship a single downloadable tarball.

Also preparing the boot media seems to vary board by board. E.g.
wandboard loads bootloader from fixed sectors of MMC, where as e.g.
cubieboard seems to load it from the first partition (FAT).

I've made now a test image with u-boot for wandboard (it also
has cubieboard u-boot, but it's u-boot script is not updated for
alpine). DTBs are for a bunch of boards, and it's a grsec kernel from
edge. apks are from 3.1.1 release.

If you have wandboard, I'd be happy to hear feedback. This is what I'm
currently running on our wandboard builder.

Patches to support more boards (kernel config and u-boot
package/script) are welcome.

I'm also wondering how we should do this in official releases. Just ship
all u-boot images and dtbs in the tarball, and make setup-bootable to
install also u-boot for arm?

Other suggestions?