Re: [alpine-devel] Alpine ARM images

From: Timo Teras <timo.teras_at_iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 21:49:06 +0200

On Wed, 28 Jan 2015 11:32:32 -0800
Orion <systmkor_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I think it would be best for us to work on automating these processes.
> So that future boards, distro adjustments, and customized
> distributions are easier for us to build, use, and play with.

That's three questions in one... :)

But yes, we have this stuff automated. The Raspberry Pi image is
automated. And building everything in the tarball I linked is
automated. Building the tarball itself is not (yet) automated, but it's
simple to make it so. That's part of what I wanted to get feedback for
- is the tarball contents now good, or should it contain something
additional, have something removed or changed.

Doing customized distributions based Alpine is certainly doable, but
not well documented. I remember seeing some use Alpine aports as basis
of their work. But have not looked into that with detail.

But simplifying spin-off distros is something we should probably talk
about. Especially for making appliance type setups. It's simpleish
already now to make custom .iso images with custom set of packages. But
adding your own packages probably requires a bit of extra work.

Doing full custom rebuilds yourself needs even more work - and is not
well documented. (You'd probably need this if you wanted optimized
builds for specific ARM cpu, etc.)

/Timo