[alpine-devel] Re: apk-tools - In need of a minimal spec

From: Timo Teras <timo.teras_at_iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 12:01:12 +0200

On Wed, 4 Feb 2015 01:42:31 -0800
Orion <systmkor_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I've began to try define the syntax/keywords used inside
> the /lib/apk/db/installed . Let me know if I'm on the right track.
> http://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Apk_spec

Yes, mostly. I could probably fix / update some details too.

It might be an idea to explain that the same file format is used for
both: installed database, and the package index file. The index file
contains a subset, and installed database has some additional fields.

Please remove the 'blob' term there. Blobs are internal implementation
detail. apk_blob is basically a pointer + length structure. On the
index/database file it is just a specifically formatted text string.

Also, there's a convention that capital letter fields are mandatory.
Apk refuses to install the package if it recognize it. Lower case
letters are optional support, and apk will give warning but accept to
install it.

Maybe it'd be good as a table with columns:
 - Field letter
 - Description
 - Field data format
 - Allowed in installed-db / package-index

For APKBUILD we already have some other wiki pages, and it's not read
by apk-tools so that can be left out.

Over all, for the fileformats. It'd need also a section for index file
and it's structure, the installed db file structure, and the package
file structure.

I do have some notes on these. But it's not in any formatted way. I
should take time to write it to the wiki page.

Thanks for the effort so far :)

/Timo