Mail archive

Re: [alpine-devel] openssl-1.0.2 or libressl ?

From: Orion <>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 02:10:34 -0800

On Thu, 5 Feb 2015 10:34:40 +0200
Timo Teras <> wrote:

> I'm wondering if I should push this to testing, and let it be there
> for few weeks until updating the package in main.

I did push a LibreSSl package a while ago but I think I put the wrong
name and never got around to fixing it. Go for it.

I would like to note that this is definitely a perfect case were
properties of the nix package manager excels. Since for example one
commonly used program (e.g. nginx) wasn't going to change to work with
OpenSSL for another year. With current style you would either move to
LibreSSL and break a future desire to use nginx. With a nix style you
could just keep nginx using OpenSSL til it can be changed but all other
packages that can use LibreSSL can be upgraded without any full system