Re: [alpine-devel] openssl-1.0.2 or libressl ?

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 14:53:15 +0100

On Thu, 5 Feb 2015 10:34:40 +0200
Timo Teras <timo.teras_at_iki.fi> wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Feb 2015 09:29:31 -0800
> systmkor <systmkor_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > > So I'm wondering should we reconsider libressl at this point? Any
> > > thoughts?
> >
> > My vote is that we stick with openssl for version 1.0.2 but start the
> > process to move to libressl. Even if we don’t move to it officially,
> > it would be nice as an alternative.
>
> Agreed. And I just realized that 1.0.2 is ABI compatible with 1.0.1 and
> 1.0.0. So no recompiles should be needed.
>
> Find attached the upgrade commit. All patches are rebased, they ran
> openssl source code through indent. Also c_rehash is updated to be
> smarter.
>
> I'm wondering if I should push this to testing, and let it be there for
> few weeks until updating the package in main.

We normally don't do that when ABI is compatible. I think you can push
it to main if you first do basic testing, eg verify that apk does not
completely breaks, test s_client against some server and test some
application like curl or equvalent that https is not totally broken.

Move it to testing first if you think there are some reason to
believe that it might break things or if you know that you will not be
able to quickly fix any potential breakages.

-nc