Mail archive

[alpine-devel] Re: apk-tools - In need of a minimal spec

From: Orion <>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 18:58:16 -0800

On Wed, 4 Feb 2015 12:01:12 +0200
Timo Teras <> wrote:

> Please remove the 'blob' term there.

'blob' terms has been removed.

> Also, there's a convention that capital letter fields are mandatory.
> Apk refuses to install the package if it recognize it. Lower case
> letters are optional support, and apk will give warning but accept to
> install it.

One line noting this but leaving out the warning until I know more
about what causes it etc.

> Maybe it'd be good as a table with columns:
> - Field letter
> - Description
> - Field data format
> - Allowed in installed-db / package-index

Table with these fields have been created. That said I haven't filled
the entire table out yet. I think the table should probably be a quick
reference and then if needed we have sections for each one going into
depth about that field.

> For APKBUILD we already have some other wiki pages, and it's not read
> by apk-tools so that can be left out.

Section removed.

> Over all, for the fileformats. It'd need also a section for index file
> and it's structure, the installed db file structure, and the package
> file structure.
> I do have some notes on these. But it's not in any formatted way. I
> should take time to write it to the wiki page.

Maybe add some of your notes to the wiki page this weekend? :3 :P

> Thanks for the effort so far :)

Your welcome. Thanks for responding and not leaving me stranded to
reverse engineer everything.