Re: [alpine-devel] Raspberry Pi 2 model B

From: Fabien Germain <fabien.germain_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 01:17:40 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 7:07 AM, Timo Teras <timo.teras_at_iki.fi> wrote:

> > Whereas Alpine Linux works great on Raspberry Pi B+, it does not seem
> > to boot (black screen) with the new Raspberry Pi 2 :-( The main
> > difference with old model is the CPU : single 700MHz ARM11 --> 900MHz
> > quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 (more details :
> > http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-2-on-sale/ ).
>
> It's completely different CPU, with different peripherals. So it'll
> require kernel support. We will need to pull in the kernel support
> adjust kernel config, and see if any changes to boot sequence are
> needed. Likely it's just matter of fixing kernel.

Yes, indeed : Replacing bootcode.bin, fixup.dat and start.elf with latest
versions from https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/tree/master/boot
didn't help booting :-(
Only CPU was changed (and 512 more Mb of RAM), as far as I know all the
hardware is the same.

The userland is compatible though. So this is not too complicated issue.

Good news :-)

> Has anyone else tried, and got more success with it ? Is there
> > anything I could try ? I have RPI B, RPI B+ and RPI 2 to make
> > tests :-)
>
> I just need a RPI2 to test with. I'll probably going to get one at some
> point.

If there is anything I can do to help...

Fabien