Re: [alpine-devel] Fw: [alpine-aports] [Patch] mkinitfs - Support for root_type and root_options

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 16:14:19 +0100

On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 14:20:00 +0200
Olivier Mauras <olivier_at_mauras.ch> wrote:

> On 2015-03-16 12:36, Natanael Copa wrote:
>
> > I am forwarding a
> patch for mkinitfs from alpine-aports mailing list
> > for discussion.
> >

> > I agree that we want support mounting p9 as root file system from
> >
> initramfs.
> >
> > I would like to avoid to introduce 2 new boot options:
> root_type and
> > root_options.
> >
> > Questions:
> >
> > Can we implement this
> without introducing new boot options?
> >
> > If not, how does other
> distros handle this? Do they have other boot
> > options for it?
> >
> > Are
> we happy with introducing root_type and root_options as boot
> >
> options?
> >
> > I am open for ideas.
> FWIW, RHEL7 implements it
> in dracut with "root=virtfs:9p_name"

ok, this is an option we should consider.

> I just felt that having the options
> could be more useful - beyond 9p but i agree, is it needed ? - than
> hardcoding 9p support :)

we have root_size for tmpfs root which would correspond to
root_options="-s ..."

I agree it would be nice to avoid hardcoding every supported root type.

anyone know what debian, ubuntu, arch and gentoo does for 9p as root?

If the majority use root=virtfs:9p_name then we should maybe follow
that.