Re: [alpine-devel] Fw: [alpine-aports] [Patch] mkinitfs - Support for root_type and root_options

From: Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 17:39:48 +0000

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 04:14:19PM +0100, Natanael Copa wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 14:20:00 +0200
> Olivier Mauras <olivier_at_mauras.ch> wrote:
>

> > On 2015-03-16 12:36, Natanael Copa wrote:
> >
> > > I am forwarding a
> > patch for mkinitfs from alpine-aports mailing list
> > > for discussion.
> > >

> > > I agree that we want support mounting p9 as root file system from
> > > initramfs.
> > >
> > > I would like to avoid to introduce 2 new boot options:
> > root_type and
> > > root_options.
> > >
> > > Questions:
> > >
> > > Can we implement this
> > without introducing new boot options?
> > >
> > > If not, how does other
> > distros handle this? Do they have other boot
> > > options for it?

> > FWIW, RHEL7 implements it
> > in dracut with "root=virtfs:9p_name"
>
> ok, this is an option we should consider.
>
> > I just felt that having the options
> > could be more useful - beyond 9p but i agree, is it needed ? - than
> > hardcoding 9p support :)
>
> we have root_size for tmpfs root which would correspond to
> root_options="-s ..."
>
> I agree it would be nice to avoid hardcoding every supported root type.
>
> anyone know what debian, ubuntu, arch and gentoo does for 9p as root?
>
> If the majority use root=virtfs:9p_name then we should maybe follow
> that.

Here's something about adding 9p support to an initramfs applicable to
Debian, if I understand correctly [1]:

Add the 9p modules to the host initramfs (that's the easiest way albeit not the cleanest, to have an initrd with the needed modules):
printf '%s\n' 9p 9pnet 9pnet_virtio | sudo tee -a /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
sudo update-initramfs -u

qemu -kernel "/boot/vmlinuz-$(uname -r)" \
   -initrd "/boot/initrd.img-$(uname -r)" \
   -fsdev local,id=r,path=/,security_model=none \
   -device virtio-9p-pci,fsdev=r,mount_tag=r \
   -nographic \
   -append 'root=r ro rootfstype=9p rootflags=trans=virtio console=ttyS0 init=/bin/sh'

[1] http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/90423/can-virtfs-9p-be-used-as-root-file-system