Re: [alpine-devel] Bootable usb (vfat) local cache packages are not installed after reboot!

From: Timo Teras <timo.teras_at_iki.fi>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 21:16:52 +0300

Hi,

On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 19:55:24 +0300
HL <freemail.grharry_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I haven't been around that much, but since I've seen some goodies, I
> would like to give them a try!
>
> I booted from cdrom and made a bootable flash ( setup-bootable ).
>
> So far so good.
>
> However creating a local cache with setup-apkcache
>
> on usb (/media/usb/local-cache and softlink to /etc/apk/cache ) for
> upgrading and installing my developed packages I discovered that
> after each reboot the packages are not installed/upgraded to the ones
> that reside within the usb cache dir.
>
> For instance
>
> apk update
> apk upgrade
> downloads a bunch of upgrades but after a reboot the newest packages
> are not installed!
>
> I ask for your help based on your experience since my test machine is
> on a remote site, thus I have no clue of what the boot-screen
> messages are!

I believe the issue is that the boot media mount point name during
boot stage is different from what it is when running.

I think the setup-bootable now sets alpine_dev=UUID=<uuid>:vfat and
causes the disk mounted at /media/UUID=<uuid> during boot. If fstab
happens to have the mount point named /media/usb they'll mismatch.
Change boot parameter to alpine_dev=usbdisk:xxx or remove the fstab
entry so that the boot media is kept in /media/UUID=<uuid> (and repoint
the /etc/apk/cache there).

This apparently is a mismatch with the initramfs scripts, and the
setup-bootable script. And needs to be fixed somewhere. Either making
the boot device naming consistent. Or making initramfs script repoint
apk cache to the correct place during boot.

Thanks,
Timo