Re: [alpine-devel] Next Linux Kernel - Linux 3.18?

From: Der Tiger <der.tiger.alpine_at_arcor.de>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 10:15:38 +0200

Hi,

The Alpine kernel is grsec-hardened, which causes the kernel version to
be tied to (or limited by) the availability of grsec patches for the
kernel. Grsecurity favours long-term support versions of the kernel to
provide patches, but doesn't provide patches for each LTS kernel
version. By the time the grsec patches are available for a kernel
version, (potential) problems of the particular kernel series are well
know and (for the most part) fixed.

According to Grsecurity {1}, the next patch most likely will be for the
current stable kernel 3.19.3 (or a later 3.19.x).

_at_Natanael: Please, correct me, if I'm wrong.

Tiger

{1} http://grsecurity.net/