Mail archive

Re: [alpine-devel] Next Linux Kernel - Linux 3.18?

From: Orion <>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 10:37:19 -0700

Thank you for your prompt reply. :D

On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 10:15:38 +0200
Der Tiger <> wrote:

> The Alpine kernel is grsec-hardened, which causes the kernel version
> to be tied to (or limited by) the availability of grsec patches for
> the kernel.

I thought so. I just wasn't sure if there was more criteria than the
latest stable grsec kernel. Correct me if I'm wrong. :D

> Grsecurity favours long-term support versions of the kernel to
> provide patches, but doesn't provide patches for each LTS kernel
> version.

Thank you for pointing this out. As far as I know grsec is maintained
by one person, spender. Is there any plans to eventually to help spender
out? Kernel hacking is somewhere on my personal to do list. However
I've got a variety of other things to finish before I can start playing
in kernel land.

> According to Grsecurity {1}, the next patch most likely will be for
> the current stable kernel 3.19.3 (or a later 3.19.x).

I think 3.19 is under testing at the moment however that will probably