Re: [alpine-devel] 3.3 proposal: reduce number of SUID binaries as much as possible

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 13:55:37 +0200

On Tue, 26 May 2015 04:32:01 -0500
William Pitcock <nenolod_at_dereferenced.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to see a general reduction of SUID binaries where
> possible. For example, a lot of APKBUILDs have options=suid when
> there's probably no real reason for it.

yes. i'd love to clean up this.

> Examples include ...
>
> main/apache2
> main/atop
> main/email2trac
> main/fping
> main/fuse
> main/haserl
> main/krb5
> main/mailx
> main/man (i have no idea why you need SUID to view manpages???)

!!!?

lets purge it. mdoc-ml is there. i think there is also a mandb or
something from GNU.

> main/mate-applets (why would we ever give a GUI defacto root???)
> main/nagios-plugins
> main/vte
> main/xscreensaver

I suspect many of them needs major refactoring for fixing it properly.
For example, kernel now has support for icmp echo without root, but i
have not been able to make it work. you need refactor the ping applications.

IIRC fping tries open the socket with SOCK_DGRAM and fall back to
SOCK_RAW (which requires root). I think this works on OSX, but to make
it work on linux you need refactor lots of other stuff too.

> We should really investigate why these packages need suid and then fix
> the problems. I guess they want read or write access to some
> filesystem path that is normally hidden. In this case, we should fix
> the filesystem so that we're not hiding junk we don't need to.
> Security by obscurity isn't.

Yes. we should try fix as many as possible.