Re: [alpine-devel] Regex compatibility

From: Jeff Pohlmeyer <yetanothergeek_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 08:05:02 -0500

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 6:53 PM, Michael Fox <415fox_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Building software on alpine, I notice most problems stem from regex
> incompatibility. Is there some way achieve compatibility?
>
> This is especially hard on `make check` because many tests involve regexes.

If it's a matter of the tests actually depending on regex library
calls, I would say
that's something that would probably need to be fixed in the test, since not all
C libraries are going to have the same implementation. But if the tests are
depending on the behavior of the "grep" command, the fix might be as simple
as ensuring that the test environment has GNU grep installed in the path ahead
of busybox grep. (since GUN grep uses PCRE rather than MUSL for its regex.)

- Jeff