Re: [alpine-devel] reorganize the repositories

From: Bartłomiej Piotrowski <b_at_bpiotrowski.pl>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 11:20:59 +0200

On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 15:57:40 -0300
Alan Messias <alancordeiro_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Does it mean that *everybody *that asks for write access in
> 'community' will be accepted to git push to it? In case of an 'yes',
> this is the piece that I don't like - I'd vote to everybody continue
> sending patches to 'community' except some approved ones.

Of course not – only regular contributors could apply for
additional permissions. There are many people like that, who maintain
only particular packages. They don't need permissions to modify
packages like kernel, just theirs are of expertise.

> It might be great! But i think we'll need to keep track of packages
> purged just in case someone requests a package that were in staging
> for a period and was purged

Everything resides in git history. No need to worry about it.

> About the 'staging' repo: I like this name but I also like NetBSD's
> idea of *wip* (stands for *w*ork *i*n *p*rogress). Maybe staging
> could be called *wip* repository.

It is not exactly "wip". I just felt that testing is wrong name,
given how many packages rot there for releases. Staging gives clear
indication that we want to know if package works good enough to move it
to "stable" repositories.

BP