Mail archive

Re: [alpine-devel] reorganize the repositories

From: Timo Teras <>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 21:18:58 +0300

On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 16:59:16 +0200
Natanael Copa <> wrote:

> Hi,
> The 'main' repository has grown big.
> I feel that we have more packages than we can maintain for 2 years. I
> don't mind that we have tons of packages, but there are many packages
> that I only want give best-effort support for security fixes instead
> of supporting it for 2 years.
> Too many files/dirs in a directory is not good for performance also.
> So the idea is to split main, or reorganize the repositories as:
> - main
> All core packages and all the package that we can provide 2 year
> support for.
> - community
> All the extra packages that community maintains. This repository
> will be available in stable releases but we only provide best-effort
> support for bug and security fixes. None of the packages in 'main'
> repository can depend on anything in 'community'.
> - staging
> This is basically current 'testing', but we rename it to make it
> clear that packages are not supposed to stay here forever. We might
> want autopurge packages that has not been moved to 'main' or
> 'community' repo. Once a package is tested and confirmed to work, it
> can be moved to either community or main.
> We would have a gitolite group, 'maindevs' and another
> 'communitydevs'. People in community group may git push to
> 'community' repo but not 'main' repo. This is so that maintainers can
> push packages themselves, without needing to send patches, like they
> currently do. The recent move to gitolite makes this possible.
> We could also give maintainers git push access to only the packages
> they maintain, but I think that would complicate things more than
> needed.
> Other alternatives is that we introduce categories ala gentoo, and the
> bsd ports, but I would prefer avoid this. We'd need to decide what
> package belongs in what category. They can often fit into many.
> What do you think?
> Other ideas?

Sounds Good.

Might be an idea to improve apk-tools at same time a bit. I'd prefer to
not need to edit repositories when doing upgrade. Would be nice if we
shipped all the mirrors in etc/apk/repositories.d/alpine.list or
similar. And then have config to select the correct branch and
preferred mirror, or similar. This would allow to great dist-upgrade or
similar that would know the latest stable branch and upgrade config to

Though, not sure if this simplification or complication.