Re: [alpine-devel] eudev pushed to git master (edge)

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 08:28:18 +0200

On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 11:35:50 +0200
Carlo Landmeter <clandmeter_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I just tried to update my desktop to latest edge, but im unable to start
> slim anymore.
> Also my first (or second) monitor has no screen anymore.
>
> I think i was also unable to remove udev because its pulled in by
> setup-desktop.

While testing, using old udev didnt work at all. I have fixed
alpine-desktop dep to use eudev.

> Another issue is, kmod modprobe is not compatible with bb modprobe, it does
> not have the -l switch so alsa-utils fails (and probably more init scripts).

The plan is to fix busybox depmod so we can use busybox utils instead
of hard depndency of kmod.

That said, it is probably a good idea to fix alsa-utils too.

> I also have the feeling I have to cleanup older (automatic) udev rules,
> because my nic name has changed into something weird.

I got other report of that too:

>> after updating my alpine linux edge, wlan0 became wlp18s0b1

I don't know why or how to fix it.

> I didnt look into it too much, but i think people should really watch out
> with updating edge if they don't want to break anything.

Yes. This was a risky upgrade. But upgrading udev has always been
risky. For a while things broke for almost every udev upgrade, which is
the reason we stayed on the old udev-175 for years without upgrading.

We need move forward though.