Interface names (WAS: [alpine-devel] eudev pushed to git master (edge))

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 09:52:12 +0200

On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 11:35:50 +0200
Carlo Landmeter <clandmeter_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I also have the feeling I have to cleanup older (automatic) udev rules,
> because my nic name has changed into something weird.
> I didnt look into it too much, but i think people should really watch out
> with updating edge if they don't want to break anything.

For the record. As mentioned on IRC, The NIC name change is to get
persistent and predictable net interface names.

https://github.com/gentoo/eudev/blob/master/src/udev/udev-builtin-net_id.c#L20

To get back the old style names you can do:

  ln -s /dev/null /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules

This also means that which NIC becomes eth0 and eth1 etc is
unpredictable.

We will need a long term solution for this.

The problem is that kernel will assign net interface name based on what
order they are discovered during coldplug. The way we have worked
around this in Alpine is that we sort the modaliases before doing
modprobe. That way eth0 will become eth0 every reboot, even after
kernel upgrades.

Udev developers has other solution for this problem: invent a new
naming standard for network interfaces.

I think we want keep whatever is current for people who are upgrading.
But for new installs, what do we do? How do we name the network
interfaces?

Do we want udev users and non-udev users have same interfaces names, or
do we want let users who don't want udev keep the old, traditional
inerface naming and let users who chose udev to get whatever upstream
udev does?

How do we make sure that interface names does not change after reboot?

Do we want be (partially) compatible with other distro's way to name
interfaces? (even a bad naming standard might be better than no naming
standard)