Re: Interface names (WAS: [alpine-devel] eudev pushed to git master (edge))

From: Kevin Chadwick <m8il1ists_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 23:05:16 +0100

On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 08:08:21 -0700
Isaac Dunham wrote:

> I, for one, *do* *NOT* *want* udev-style names.
>
> The kernel developers worked for years on moving from driver-specific
> names to "ethN"/"wlanN" interface names. "Predictable" interface naming
> a la udev not only reverses those gains,

Interesting, I never knew Linux used to have them. I've always
considered OpenBSD's driver related names as a superior mechanism but
then they have high quality man pages that make you appreciate it. I
believe they order them by PCI location so you can even be sure of the
order physically.

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi/OpenBSD-current/man4/rl.4?query=rl
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi/OpenBSD-current/man4/bge.4?query=bge
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi/OpenBSD-current/man4/fxp.4?query=fxp