[alpine-devel] Re: udev replacement on Alpine Linux

From: Rob Landley <rob_at_landley.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 22:34:34 -0500

On 07/25/2015 07:11 PM, Alan Pillay wrote:
> Dear Alpine Linux developers and mailing-list lurkers,
>
> udev is currently being used on Alpine version 3.2.2, but we all know
> it detracts from the philosophy to keep things simple, small and
> efficient.
> There are many programs out there that could replace udev and help
> Alpine get in a better shape. I will list some that I know.
>
> [mdev] there are 2 mdev implementations that I know, busybox's and
> toybox's. On Alpine Linux, busybox already comes installed by default
> (and its mdev comes with it, which is weird since it isn't currently
> used, but I digress)

I'm the primary developer of toybox and the original author of busybox
mdev, but busybox's mdev has grown a lot of new features over the years
that toybox doesn't implement yet.

I'm happy to add them, but am mostly waiting for patches from the users
telling me what they need. (My own embedded systems mostly just use
devtmpfs, they don't tend to hotplug a lot of stuff.)

If there's interest in my fleshing out toybox's mdev, I can bump it up
the todo list, but I tend to be chronically overcommitted so need
repeated poking...

Rob