Re: [alpine-devel] udev replacement on Alpine Linux

From: Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 22:24:37 -0700

[pruning CC: to those who are more likely to care about mdev features
and command line]

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 10:37:37AM +0200, Natanael Copa wrote:
> There was also a long discussion about adding netlink support to
> busybox mdev on busybox mailing list. There was some disagreement on
> how to do it.
>
> There was even some patches that made busybox mdev read events from
> stdin.

A few comments regarding those patches...

It is much simpler to debug something like "mdev -i" than a netlink reader
spawned by a "netlink inetd", since there's less indirection in using strace
and you can trivially create, log, and replay events. Do not underestimate
how useful the ability to play back a series of hotplug events is.

While I did prepare a patch for mdev -i (read events from stdin) based
on your work, other modifications were made to mdev.
Meanwhile, the agreement that there had been about reading events from
stdin disappeared, Denys assumed that it was entirely about serialization
and reimplemented nldev, and a simple rework of the patch to match the
new code didn't work, so I never got the patch updated. (I figured that
with a maintainer who didn't understand the feature request, it would take
a bit more support to get it in.)

If mdev -i is desired rather than a netlink reader, I think I could update
the patch; but if netlink support in mdev itself is desired, I don't want
to set up the environment that would be needed to test it.

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham