Re: [alpine-devel] Rename proposal of alpine .ISOs

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 20:25:20 +0200

On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 14:16:56 +0200
7heo <7heo_at_mail.com> wrote:

> I would also get rid of the iso format as the main one, as nobody
> burns installation medias anymore. It would be much better to have a
> dd'able installation image.

The .iso format has only served as an archive format, which you can
easily boot directly in qemu.

You can also use 7zip in windows to extract the files and run
syslinux.exe. I doubt that is ever done though.

Maybe a dd'able isohybrid or something would work?

But we will also need some storage on the bootable media in case you
want to run diskeless. for some storage on dd'able boot media from
isohybrid would require user to create a second partition for apkovl.

If we have an dd'able boot image with vfat file system we will also
need add a second partition for apkovl as fat does not support resize.

If we do dd'able boot media that is not fat, but ext4 or similar, then
we lose the ability to copy the apkovl on a windows system.

For UEFI we will probably need separate boot partition on fat anyway?

Is it possible to create a dd'able image file which has a GPT which can
resize the data storage partition?