Re: [alpine-devel] Rename proposal of alpine .ISOs

From: Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 12:49:07 -0700

On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 08:25:20PM +0200, Natanael Copa wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 14:16:56 +0200
> 7heo <7heo_at_mail.com> wrote:
>
> > I would also get rid of the iso format as the main one, as nobody
> > burns installation medias anymore. It would be much better to have a
> > dd'able installation image.
>
> The .iso format has only served as an archive format, which you can
> easily boot directly in qemu.
>
> You can also use 7zip in windows to extract the files and run
> syslinux.exe. I doubt that is ever done though.

I always used to extract the ISO in 7zip, then use grub4dos to boot the
files.

> Maybe a dd'able isohybrid or something would work?

I'd really like to see isohybrid used on ISOs, if possible; while it's
not a perfect solution, it's more useful than old-fashioned ISOs.

> But we will also need some storage on the bootable media in case you
> want to run diskeless. for some storage on dd'able boot media from
> isohybrid would require user to create a second partition for apkovl.
>
> If we have an dd'able boot image with vfat file system we will also
> need add a second partition for apkovl as fat does not support resize.

*blink* Huh?
fatresize, fips...there *are* ways to split and resize FAT filesystems,
and there have been for 10-20 years (FIPS was from 1995, fatresize from
2005), though the former needs to be packaged and the latter is DOS only.

Don't forget that UDF is another option.

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham