Re: [alpine-devel] Rename proposal of alpine .ISOs

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 11:38:21 +0200

On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 17:46:37 -0200
Alan Pillay <alanppillay4_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I actually still burn .ISO to CD, but maybe that's just me?
> An option would be to provide both the .iso and the dd'able image. But
> I'm not sure if the developers have enough infrastructure for this
> double release.
>
> Discussion has been all about the release format so far, but how do
> you guys feel about the proposal of making the MINI image become the
> STANDARD image? I think the great majority of people don't use Alpine
> as a router/firewall/etc anymore and the current standard image comes
> with many programs only a few people use.

I agree that we want make the alpine-mini to the standard image.

The bigger iso image (currently standard) is only useful for diskless
installs where you can have most of the needed packages on the iso. The
question is what we rename it to?

alpine-offline?
alpine-live?

I don't know what would be a good description for it.

Or we only drop it?

-nc