Re: [alpine-devel] Rename proposal of alpine .ISOs

From: Timo Teras <timo.teras_at_iki.fi>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 13:00:59 +0300

On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 11:38:21 +0200
Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 17:46:37 -0200
> Alan Pillay <alanppillay4_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I actually still burn .ISO to CD, but maybe that's just me?
> > An option would be to provide both the .iso and the dd'able image.
> > But I'm not sure if the developers have enough infrastructure for
> > this double release.
> >
> > Discussion has been all about the release format so far, but how do
> > you guys feel about the proposal of making the MINI image become the
> > STANDARD image? I think the great majority of people don't use
> > Alpine as a router/firewall/etc anymore and the current standard
> > image comes with many programs only a few people use.
>
> I agree that we want make the alpine-mini to the standard image.
>
> The bigger iso image (currently standard) is only useful for diskless
> installs where you can have most of the needed packages on the iso.
> The question is what we rename it to?
>
> alpine-offline?
> alpine-live?
>
> I don't know what would be a good description for it.
>
> Or we only drop it?

Probably keep for one release cycle.

After that I'd like to see scripts / mechanism to easily build custom
installation images. Such that we can give apkovl and it gives boot
media back. This would be useful for 'appliance' type setups.

I have no good suggestions for renaming them. But renaming current
standard as 'network' is confusing, since I'd assume 'network' image to
require network for installing everything. Same goes for 'live'.

'offline' sounds best so far. Or maybe just call it 'large' or 'full' ?

/Timo