Mail archive

Re: [alpine-devel] v3.3 feature freeze

From: V.Krishn <>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 03:04:36 +0530

> Hi,
> We now need to stop working on new features for the v3.3 release and
> concentrate on wrapping things up for v3.3 release. Testing and fixing
> bugs.
> A few questions:
> Can we make the 'lua' package be lua5.3? I think everything that needs
> 5.1 should have depends on 'lua5.1' instead of 'lua'.
> Can anyone help with upgrading llvm-3.7 and clang?
> Can anyone help with upgrade xen to 4.6?
> I'd like to move as much ruby stuff as possible to community, can
> someone help with that?
> Are there anything else that needs cleanup for v3.3?

Any thoughts on:
1. All desktops except one that we want to keep as default and ready to jump
on it to fix when update available or broken.
2. Web application like drupal, phpmyadmin, owncloud i.e pkgs that does not
require compiling and are sometimes more easier to install by downloading the
orig tar and just uncompressing in web-folders.

More pkgs can be picked based on definition and difference
 in community and main (please expand)
1. main requires 2yrs maintenance skill commitment.
2. main has higher priority when comes to pushing update/broken pkgs in next
releases , right ?

Based on 2 above, I can spot (debatable though),
 zabbix, nagios, wayland

This can also help in creating various isos, like
1. alpine-boot (bootable+live+AL preferred net tools/utils)
    media that gets you started with bare alpine install
    (quite same as current alpine-mini)
2. alpine-cd (same above + main) - non-desktop
2a. alpine-cd2 (anything in main if above 700mb)
3. alpine-dvd (1+2+2a+community)

What if 2+3 had boot options - grsec vanilla ?
Will this help in not creating the smaller sized vanilla and xen isos ?

Comments welcome.