Re: [alpine-devel] v3.3 feature freeze

From: Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 20:13:11 -0700

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 04:01:35PM +0100, Leonardo Arena wrote:

> On lun, 2015-10-26 at 16:20 +0100, Leonardo Arena wrote:
>
> > I'll try to come up with list of packages that we could consider moving
> > to community.
> >

> Attached is a proposed list, which is by no means complete. None of the
> listed packages have dependencies on main.
>
> - leo

I'd like to object to the following:
a2ps
brlaser
 - these are both important for printing; brlaser is the driver for my
   printer, and a2ps is the most versatile set of filters for cups
acf-*
 - these are the Alpine Configuration Framework packages, Alpine's web
 administration setup
b43-fwcutter
 - this is needed for using some wireless cards (all supported by b43)
bc
 - this calculator is required by POSIX and used to build the Linux kernel
execline
 - the scripting language recommended by the s6 author; it probably
 shouldn't be moved unless you plan to banish s6-* as well
aspell
 - needed for enchant, and thus most software using spell-checking
 (Abiword, webkitgtk, ...)
cracklib*
cvechecker
cutter
iftop
ipfw-*
 (essentially, all the network, password, and security stuff, for now.)
 ipfw is optional, but bandwidth monitoring, CVE checking, etc. are quite
 useful.
pssh
 - If I understand correctly, this allows one to use a single command for
 administering multiple systems.
 That should be enough to clarify how useful it is.
Others:
wipe, zonenotify

mplayer/mpv:
 - If we aren't *planning* on making all desktop-related stuff move to
 community, at least one of these (or another video player) is desireable
 in main.

Packages I'll second moving to community/:
pianobar
youtube-dl
 - These are high-churn tools that don't rely on a fixed remote API.

Additionally, I'm wondering it sword may be better off in community/,
since upstream is preparing 1.7.5 and may at some point "soon" release
1.8.0. (They have been working on it for years, and I have no idea how
close it is. Once that hits, 1.7.x will not be supported upstream.)

HTH,
Isaac Dunham