Re: [alpine-devel] v3.3 feature freeze

From: V.Krishn <vkrishn4_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 13:11:01 +0530

> On lun, 2015-10-26 at 10:12 +0100, Natanael Copa wrote:

> > > Any thoughts on:
> > > 1. All desktops except one that we want to keep as default and ready to
> > > jump on it to fix when update available or broken.
> >
> > You mean move to community?
> >
> > I'm all for moving as much as possible to community.
> >
> > The question was more general, what more cleanup, more than just move
> > stuff to community, are *needed* before v3.3. Eg the critical stuff,
> > the things we can not forget.
> >
> > > 2. Web application like drupal, phpmyadmin, owncloud i.e pkgs that does
> > > not require compiling and are sometimes more easier to install by
> > > downloading the orig tar and just uncompressing in web-folders.
> >
> > What about those packages?
>
> I think we should move to community the packages which don't have stable
> and maintained releases. This is not the case of ownCloud since is
> maintained for 1,5 years after release. For example v6.0.0 was released
> in Dec. 2013 and last update was 6.0.9 on July 2016. v7.0.0 was released
> July 2014 it's still actively maintained.
>
> I think it's handy to have web applications packages for run-from-RAM
> installations. Also upgrade of packaged web application is faster then
> tar-based installations.
>
> Not sure about drupal maintenance policy, and may be phpmyadmin can be
> likely moved.

Criteria is not upstream stability release but,
1. Does these pkgs' normal updates get backported ?
2. If we decide fitting main is one CD or two do we want them in main then ?
3. Pkgs like these are easy to maintain and maybe tagged/delegated to new or
less experienced maintainers.
4. Note, there is no stopping for main devs in maintaining community pkgs.