Re: [alpine-devel] v3.3 feature freeze

From: V.Krishn <vkrishn4_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 16:24:21 +0530

> > > I think we should move to community the packages which don't have
> > > stable and maintained releases. This is not the case of ownCloud since
> > > is maintained for 1,5 years after release. For example v6.0.0 was
> > > released in Dec. 2013 and last update was 6.0.9 on July 2016. v7.0.0
> > > was released July 2014 it's still actively maintained.
> > >
> > > I think it's handy to have web applications packages for run-from-RAM
> > > installations. Also upgrade of packaged web application is faster then
> > > tar-based installations.
> > >
> > > Not sure about drupal maintenance policy, and may be phpmyadmin can be
> > > likely moved.
> >
> > Criteria is not upstream stability release but,
> > 1. Does these pkgs' normal updates get backported ?
> > 2. If we decide fitting main is one CD or two do we want them in main
> > then ? 3. Pkgs like these are easy to maintain and maybe
> > tagged/delegated to new or less experienced maintainers.
> > 4. Note, there is no stopping for main devs in maintaining community
> > pkgs.
>
> I think to it's one of the relevant criteria. Maintaining a package in a
> stable Alpine branch, when upstream does not provide maintenance
> releases, puts a load on the Alpine package maintainer that needs to
> backport the security patches at least, and possibly other bugfixes too.
>
> So I think one of the main questions to determine whether the package go
> to main/community is:
>
> - Is the maintainer willing to ensure that package foo-1.1.0 will have
> ~2years of security fixes/critical bug fixes available for version 1.1?
> If yes, stay in main, if no, go to community, where you are free to bump
> to version 2.x.
> Or did I get the purpose of community repo wrong?

Moving to community does not undermine maintainer's capability.
Nor does community undermines pkgs usability.
(users only needs to be a bit more aware while using those pkgs).
eg. if I were to pkg a group-ware like citadel.org I would let it stay in
community, even if I can or am willing to do a "2years of security
fixes/critical bug fixes".
Just thinking in terms of AL philosophy and things like "Small. Simple.
Secure" , security-oriented, lightweight ...etc.

I think presently most important is if a main dev+maintainer thinks it goes in
main/, that has overriding vote.

--
Regards.
V.Krishn