Re: [alpine-devel] apk-tools ideas

From: Christian Kampka <christian_at_kampka.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 11:14:35 +0000

Hi,

since you are opening a wishlist, I'd like to see a feature that allows to
divert binaries through apk.
For reference, Debian offers such a feature through dpkg-divert[1].

What diversion basically provide is a way to tell apk that binary foo is
not to be installed in /usr/bin/foo but /usr/bin/foo.orig instead. Any
update of the package providing foo will then update the binary located at
/usr/bin/foo.orig instead of /usr/bin/foo.
I find this useful for replacing binaries with wrappers that provide
additional functionality. This is typically a problem if you use tooling
like ansible for your deployment that expects a binary in a certain place,
eg. the apk binary.
Tooling aside, may binaries are expected to be in a certain location, eg.
/usr/sbin/sendmail, which is currently provided by postfix. An admin might
want to place another sendmail in that path to provide the functionality
without causing a potential conflict with the apk system.

It would be great if apk would allow this.

 Cheers,
Christian

[1] http://manpages.debian.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=dpkg-divert