Re: [alpine-devel] v3.3 feature freeze

From: Leonardo Arena <rnalrd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 14:29:35 +0100

On mar, 2015-10-27 at 20:13 -0700, Isaac Dunham wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 04:01:35PM +0100, Leonardo Arena wrote:
> >
> > On lun, 2015-10-26 at 16:20 +0100, Leonardo Arena wrote:
> >
> > > I'll try to come up with list of packages that we could consider moving
> > > to community.
> > >

> > Attached is a proposed list, which is by no means complete. None of the
> > listed packages have dependencies on main.
> >
> > - leo
>
> I'd like to object to the following:
> a2ps
> brlaser
> - these are both important for printing; brlaser is the driver for my
> printer, and a2ps is the most versatile set of filters for cups
> acf-*
> - these are the Alpine Configuration Framework packages, Alpine's web
> administration setup
> b43-fwcutter
> - this is needed for using some wireless cards (all supported by b43)
> bc
> - this calculator is required by POSIX and used to build the Linux kernel
> execline
> - the scripting language recommended by the s6 author; it probably
> shouldn't be moved unless you plan to banish s6-* as well
> aspell
> - needed for enchant, and thus most software using spell-checking
> (Abiword, webkitgtk, ...)
> cracklib*
> cvechecker
> cutter
> iftop
> ipfw-*
> (essentially, all the network, password, and security stuff, for now.)
> ipfw is optional, but bandwidth monitoring, CVE checking, etc. are quite
> useful.
> pssh
> - If I understand correctly, this allows one to use a single command for
> administering multiple systems.
> That should be enough to clarify how useful it is.
> Others:
> wipe, zonenotify
>
> mplayer/mpv:
> - If we aren't *planning* on making all desktop-related stuff move to
> community, at least one of these (or another video player) is desireable
> in main.
>
> Packages I'll second moving to community/:
> pianobar
> youtube-dl
> - These are high-churn tools that don't rely on a fixed remote API.
>
> Additionally, I'm wondering it sword may be better off in community/,
> since upstream is preparing 1.7.5 and may at some point "soon" release
> 1.8.0. (They have been working on it for years, and I have no idea how
> close it is. Once that hits, 1.7.x will not be supported upstream.)

A revised version liberally "inspired" by comments above :) and after
checking "depends" also.
As mentioned earlier this is just a proposal. It'd be nice to have the
respective maintainers' comments.

- leo

----------> a52dec
pkgdesc="A free library for decoding ATSC A/52 streams."
url="http://liba52.sourceforge.net/"
----------> abcde
pkgdesc="A command line CD encoder that reads your CD, downloads the track information from a CDDB provider, and rips your CD"
url="http://abcde.einval.com/"
----------> acpica
pkgdesc="ACPI Component Architecture utilities"
url="http://www.acpica.org/"
----------> altermime
pkgdesc="program alter mime-encoded mailpacks"
url="http://www.pldaniels.com/altermime/"
----------> amavisd-new
pkgdesc="High-performance interface between mailer (MTA) and content checkers"
url="http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd"
----------> antiword
pkgdesc="A free MS Word reader"
url="http://www.winfield.demon.nl"
----------> apcupsd
pkgdesc="A Daemon to control APC UPSes"
url="http://www.apcupsd.org"
----------> apg
pkgdesc="Automated Password Generator."
url="http://www.adel.nursat.kz/apg/index.shtml"
----------> api-sanity-checker
pkgdesc="A tool for creating automated test suites from any set of C sources"
url="http://ispras.linuxbase.org/index.php/API_Sanity_Autotest"
----------> appstream-glib
pkgdesc="Library for AppStream metadata"
url="http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/appstream-glib/"
----------> aria2
pkgdesc="Download utility for HTTP(S), (S)FTP, Bittorrent, and Metalink"
url="http://aria2.sourceforge.net"
----------> arpon
pkgdesc="Arp handler inspectiON is a handler daemon with tools to handle all ARP aspects"
url="http://arpon.sourceforge.net/"
----------> arpwatch
pkgdesc="Ethernet monitoring program"
url="http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/"
----------> atheme-iris
pkgdesc="AJAX IRC client. It is a drop-in replacement for qwebirc."
url="http://www.atheme.net/iris.html"
----------> attica
pkgdesc="Freedesktop OCS binding for Qt"
url="http://www.kde.org/"
----------> aumix
pkgdesc="A color text mode sound mixer"
url="http://www.jpj.net/~trevor/aumix.html"
----------> axel
pkgdesc="A multiple-connection concurrent downloader"
url="http://axel.alioth.debian.org/"
----------> babl
pkgdesc="Dynamic, any to any, pixel format conversion library"
url="http://gegl.org/babl/"
----------> beep
pkgdesc="A terminal bell"
url="http://johnath.com/beep"
----------> beets
pkgdesc="music library manager and MusicBrainz tagger"
url="http://beets.radbox.org/"
----------> bigreqsproto
pkgdesc="X11 Big Requests extension wire protocol"
url="http://xorg.freedesktop.org/"
----------> bitchx
pkgdesc="An IRC client"
url="http://www.bitchx.org/"
----------> bitlbee
pkgdesc="An IRC to other chat networks gateway"
url="http://www.bitlbee.org/"
----------> bluefish
pkgdesc="Bluefish is an editor targeted towards programmers and webdevelopers"
url="http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/"
----------> bmd-tools
pkgdesc="Tools for Blackmagic USB video encoders"
url="https://github.com/fabled/bmd-tools"
----------> bsm-simple-themes
pkgdesc="BSM Simple GTK Themes"
url="http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/?content=121685"
----------> bsnes
pkgdesc="high accuracy SNES emulator"
url="http://byuu.org/bsnes/"
----------> bwm-ng
pkgdesc="A small and simple console-based live bandwidth monitor"
url="http://www.gropp.org/"
----------> byobu
pkgdesc="An enhancement of the GNU Screen"
url="https://launchpad.net/byobu"
----------> cabextract
pkgdesc="Tool for extracting Microsoft cabinet files"
url="http://www.cabextract.org.uk/"
----------> cadaver
pkgdesc="Cadaver is a command line webDAV client for Linux"
url="http://webdav.org/cadaver/"
----------> caja
pkgdesc="The file manager for the MATE desktop"
url="https://github.com/mate-desktop/caja"
----------> caja-extensions
pkgdesc="Set of extensions for Caja file manager"
url="https://github.com/mate-desktop/caja-extensions"
----------> cciss_vol_status
pkgdesc="Drivers for the HP (previously Compaq) Smart Array controllers which provide hardware RAID capability"
url="http://cciss.sourceforge.net/"
----------> ccnet
pkgdesc="framework for writing networked applications in C"
url="https://github.com/haiwen/ccnet/"
----------> cd-discid
pkgdesc="A backend utility to get CDDB discid information from a CD-ROM disc"
url="http://linukz.org/cd-discid.shtml"
----------> cdparanoia
pkgdesc="An audio CD extraction application"
url="http://www.xiph.org/paranoia"
----------> cdw
pkgdesc="cdw is a front-end for cd recoding tools"
url="http://cdw.sf.net"
----------> cegui06
pkgdesc="CEGUI library 0.6 for apps which need this specific version"
url="http://www.cegui.org.uk"
----------> charybdis
pkgdesc="A highly-scalable IRCv3-compliant IRC daemon"
url="http://www.atheme.org/project/charybdis.html"
----------> checkbashisms
pkgdesc="Basic checks on shell scripts for the presence of non portable syntax"
url="http://sourceforge.net/projects/checkbaskisms/"
----------> ciwiki
pkgdesc="A personal lightweight wiki written in C"
url="http://ciwiki.sourceforge.net/"
----------> cksfv
pkgdesc="Simple File Verification"
url="http://zakalwe.fi/~shd/foss/cksfv"
----------> conky
pkgdesc="An advanced, highly configurable system monitor for X based on torsmo"
url="http://conky.sourceforge.net/"
----------> coova-chilli
pkgdesc="CoovaChilli is an open source access controller for wireless LAN"
url="http://www.coova.org/"
----------> cutter
pkgdesc="A program that allows firewall administrators to abort TCP/IP connections"
url="http://www.digitage.co.uk/digitage/software/linux-security/cutter"
----------> cvechecker
pkgdesc="A local CVE checker tool"
url="http://cvechecker.sourceforge.net/"
----------> darkstat
pkgdesc="Captures network traffic, calculates statistics about usage, and serves reports over HTTP"
url="https://unix4lyfe.org/darkstat/"
----------> ddate
pkgdesc="Convert Gregorian dates to Discordian dates"
url="https://github.com/bo0ts/ddate"
----------> deadbeef
pkgdesc="fairly capable playlist-oriented audio player"
url="http://deadbeef.sourceforge.net/"
----------> devicemaster-linux
pkgdesc="Userspace tools for NS-Link Device Drivers"
url="http://www.comtrol.com/resources/product-resources-white-papers/ns-link-device-drivers"
----------> devicemaster-linux-grsec
pkgdesc="NS-Link Device Drivers $_realver for linux-$_flavor"
url="http://www.comtrol.com/resources/product-resources-white-papers/ns-link-device-drivers"
----------> dillo
pkgdesc="Very small and fast GUI web browser"
url="http://www.dillo.org"
----------> dircproxy
pkgdesc="IRC proxy server designed for people who use IRC from lots of different workstations or clients"
url="http://code.google.com/p/dircproxy/"
----------> dtach
pkgdesc="A program that emulates the detach feature of screen"
url="http://dtach.sourceforge.net"
----------> dvgrab
pkgdesc="Utility to capture video from a DV camera"
url="http://www.kinodv.org/"
----------> eom
pkgdesc="A simple graphics viewer for the MATE"
url="https://github.com/mate-desktop/eom"
----------> epris
pkgdesc="Small audio player using GStreamer and DBus"
url="http://code.google.com/p/epris/"
----------> espeak
pkgdesc="Speech synthesizer for English and other languages"
url="http://espeak.sourceforge.net/"
----------> faenza-icon-theme
pkgdesc="icons designed to go in tandem with equinox themes"
url="http://tiheum.deviantart.com/art/Faenza-Icons-173323228"
----------> ferm
pkgdesc="firewall configuration tool"
url="http://ferm.foo-projects.org/"
----------> figlet
pkgdesc="A program for making large letters out of ordinary text"
url="http://www.figlet.org/"
----------> galculator
pkgdesc="GTK+ based scientific calculator"
url="http://galculator.sourceforge.net/"
----------> gegl
pkgdesc="Graph based image processing framework"
url="http://www.gegl.org/"
----------> halberd
pkgdesc="Tool to discover HTTP load balancers"
url="http://halberd.superadditive.com"
----------> iftop
pkgdesc="A tool to display bandwidth usage on an interface"
url="http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pdw/iftop/"
----------> inkscape
pkgdesc="A vector-based drawing program - svg compliant"
url="http://inkscape.sourceforge.net/"
----------> iperf
pkgdesc="A tool to measure IP bandwidth using UDP or TCP"
url="http://iperf.sourceforge.net/"
----------> iscsi-scst
pkgdesc="ISCSI target for SCST - userspace tools"
url="http://scst.sourceforge.net/"
----------> jack
pkgdesc="The Jack Audio Connection Kit"
url="http://www.jackaudio.org"
----------> joe
pkgdesc="Full featured terminal-based screen editor"
url="http://joe-editor.sourceforge.net/"
----------> lha
pkgdesc="Compression and archive utility for LH-7 format archives"
url="http://www.infor.kanazawa-it.ac.jp/~ishii/lhaunix/"
----------> libquvi
pkgdesc="library for parsing video download links"
url="http://quvi.sourceforge.net/"
----------> lsyncd
pkgdesc="Live Syncing (Mirror) Daemon"
url="http://code.google.com/p/lsyncd/"
----------> mate-applets
pkgdesc="Applets for use with the MATE panel"
url="https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-applets"
----------> mate-backgrounds
pkgdesc="Background images and data for MATE"
url="https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-backgrounds"
----------> mate-common
pkgdesc="Common scripts and macros"
url="http://mate-desktop.org/"
----------> mate-control-center
pkgdesc="MATE's main interface for configuration of various aspects of your desktop"
url="https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-control-center"
----------> mate-desktop
pkgdesc="The MATE Desktop Environment"
url="http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/mate-desktop"
----------> mate-icon-theme
pkgdesc="MATE desktop icons"
url="https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-icon-theme"
----------> mate-media
pkgdesc="media tools for MATE"
url="https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-media"
----------> mate-menus
pkgdesc="The libmate-menu library, the layout configuration files for the MATE menu, as well as a simple menu editor"
url="https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-menus"
----------> mate-notification-daemon
pkgdesc="Small, passive popup dialogs that notify the user of particular events"
url="https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-notification-daemon"
----------> mate-panel
pkgdesc="The MATE panel is the area on your desktop from which you can run applications"
url="https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-panel"
----------> mate-polkit
pkgdesc="MATE Authentication Agent for PolicyKit"
url="https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-polkit"
----------> mate-power-manager
pkgdesc="A Power Manager for MATE"
url="https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-power-manager"
----------> mate-screensaver
pkgdesc="A screen saver and locker for MATE"
url="https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-screensaver"
----------> mate-session-manager
pkgdesc="The MATE session manager"
url="https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-session-manager"
----------> mate-settings-daemon
pkgdesc="MATE Settings daemon"
url="https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-settings-daemon"
----------> mate-system-monitor
pkgdesc="A system monitor for MATE"
url="https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-system-monitor"
----------> mate-terminal
pkgdesc="MATE terminal emulator"
url="https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-terminal"
----------> mate-themes
pkgdesc="MATE themes"
url="https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-themes"
----------> mate-utils
pkgdesc="Utilities for the MATE Desktop"
url="https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-utils"
----------> mcabber
pkgdesc="A small Jabber console client"
url="http://www.lilotux.net/~mikael/mcabber/"
----------> micro-tetris
pkgdesc="Micro Tetris, based on 1989 IOCCC Obfuscated Tetris"
url="https://github.com/troglobit/tetris"
----------> mp3splt
pkgdesc="A command-line, AlbumWrap and mp3wrap file exctractor"
url="http://mp3splt.sourceforge.net/"
----------> mpd
pkgdesc="Music daemon that plays MP3, FLAC, and Ogg Vorbis files"
url="http://musicpd.org"
----------> mplayer
pkgdesc="A movie player for linux"
url="http://www.mplayerhq.hu/"
----------> mpt-status
pkgdesc="status inquiry tool for MPT devices"
url="http://www.red-bean.com/~mab/mpt-status.html"
----------> mpv
pkgdesc="Video player based on MPlayer/mplayer2"
url="http://mpv.io/"
----------> mumble
pkgdesc="Mumble is an open source, low-latency, high quality voice chat software primarily intended for use while gaming"
url="http://mumble.sourceforge.net/"
----------> ncmpc
pkgdesc="Fully featured MPD client using ncurses"
url="http://www.musicpd.org/clients/ncmpc/"
----------> opentracker
pkgdesc="an open and free bittorrent tracker"
url="http://erdgeist.org/arts/software/opentracker/"
----------> openvpn-ad-check
pkgdesc="Authenticate OpenVPN users against AD server and verify if they are member of a specific group."
url="https://sourceforge.net/p/openvpnadcheck"
----------> openvpn-auth-ldap
pkgdesc="LDAP authentication and authorization plugin for OpenVPN 2.x"
url="http://code.google.com/p/openvpn-auth-ldap/"
----------> pflogsumm
pkgdesc="Pflogsumm is a log analyzer for Postfix logs"
url="http://jimsun.linxnet.com/postfix_contrib.html"
----------> pianobar
pkgdesc="commandline player for pandora webradio"
url="https://github.com/PromyLOPh/pianobar"
----------> pssh
pkgdesc="PSSH provides parallel versions of OpenSSH and related tools: pssh, pscp, prsync, pnuke, and pslurp"
url="https://code.google.com/p/parallel-ssh/"
----------> putty
pkgdesc="SSH and telnet client"
url="http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/"
----------> pwgen
pkgdesc="A Password Generator"
url="http://sourceforge.net/projects/pwgen/"
----------> quvi
pkgdesc="Command line tool for parsing video download links"
url="http://quvi.sourceforge.net/"
----------> rtorrent
pkgdesc='Ncurses BitTorrent client based on libTorrent'
url='http://rakshasa.github.io/rtorrent/'
----------> sdl_mixer
pkgdesc="A simple multi-channel audio mixer"
url="http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/"
----------> ser2net
pkgdesc="A proxy that allows telnet/tcp connections to be made to serial ports"
url="http://sourceforge.net/projects/ser2net"
----------> sipcalc
pkgdesc="Advanced console based ip subnet calculator"
url="http://www.routemeister.net/projects/sipcalc/"
----------> sipp
pkgdesc="A test tool / traffic generator for the SIP protocol"
url="http://sipp.sourceforge.net/"
----------> sipsak
pkgdesc="SIP swiss army knife"
url="http://sipsak.org/"
----------> sircbot
pkgdesc="Minimalistic IRC bot"
url="http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/sircbot/"
----------> smstools
pkgdesc="SMS Gateway software which can send and receive short messages through GSM modems and mobile phones"
url="http://smstools3.kekekasvi.com/"
----------> snmptt
pkgdesc="Translates traps received from snmptrapd into easy to understand messages"
url="http://www.snmptt.org"
----------> soundtouch
pkgdesc="Audio Processing library for changing Tempo, Pitch and Playback Rates"
url="http://www.surina.net/soundtouch/"
----------> speedometer
pkgdesc="Measure and display the rate of data across a network connection or data being stored in a file"
url="http://excess.org/speedometer/"
----------> speedtest-cli
pkgdesc="Command line interface for testing internet bandwidth using speedtest.net"
url="https://github.com/sivel/speedtest-cli"
----------> sprunge
pkgdesc="Helper script to paste things to http://sprunge.us"
url="http://sprunge.us"
----------> sword
pkgdesc="Library for free Bible software"
url="http://www.crosswire.org/sword/"
----------> task
pkgdesc="A command-line to do list manager"
url="http://taskwarrior.org"
----------> taskd
pkgdesc="Taskserver synchronises taskwarrior across multiple clients"
url="http://taskwarrior.org"
----------> tcptraceroute
pkgdesc="Display route path using TCP probes"
url="https://github.com/mct/tcptraceroute"
----------> testdisk
pkgdesc="A data recovery suite"
url="http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk"
----------> tvheadend
pkgdesc="TV Streaming server for linux"
url="http://www.lonelycoder.com/hts/tvheadend_overview.html"
----------> umix
pkgdesc="Program for adjusting soundcard volumes"
url="http://umix.sf.net"
----------> umurmur
pkgdesc="Minimalistic Mumble server primarily targeted to run on routers"
url="https://code.google.com/p/umurmur/"
----------> weechat
pkgdesc="A fast, light, extensible ncurses-based chat client"
url="http://www.weechat.org"
----------> wipe
pkgdesc="A tool for securely erasing files from magnetic media"
url="http://lambda-diode.com/software/wipe/"
----------> ympd
pkgdesc="A standalone MPD Web GUI"
url="http://www.ympd.org/"
----------> youtube-dl
pkgdesc="A small command-line program to download videos from YouTube."
url="http://youtube-dl.org "
----------> zoneminder
pkgdesc="Video camera surveillance system"
url="http://www.zoneminder.com/"
----------> zonenotify
pkgdesc="Utility to send NS_NOTIFY packets to slave DNS servers"
url="https://github.com/morettoni/zonenotify"