Mail archive

[alpine-devel] Default DHCP server on Alpine Linux v3.3

From: Christie Taylor <>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2015 13:56:35 +0100

ISC DHCP is maintained by a team that focuses on DHCP and has been tested over and over on giant networks and is pretty solid.

BusyBox DHCP (udhcp) is just another BusyBox tool that shouldn't be (in my opinion) coupled with BusyBox. It looks like they try to do everything on what should be just the coreutilities. Bite off more than can chew.

I think the more Alpine distances from BusyBox the better. A single binary doing all these things, from coreutilities to device manager and dhcp server?! Crazy. Programs should be separate. For coreutilities I recommend sbase and for the dhcp server, I think ISC DHCP is the best out there.

What do you think about ISC DHCP? Maybe that v3.3 is coming soon, this could be another great change to come with it.