[alpine-devel] alpine 3.3.0 rc1 released

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 17:18:01 +0100

Hi,

I am happy to announce that Alpine 3.3.0 first release candidate is released.

A few notes for v3.3.0:

- The previous "alpine-mini" image as been renamed to "alpine" and is
  the default iso.

- The previous "alpine" image has been renamed to "alpine-extended" and
  has more packages for troubleshooting. Many application packages have
  been removed. For example asterisk, freeswitch, kamamilio and
  postgresql. Focus is now more on tools which can be handy for rescue,
  network and disk tools. For example btrfs-progs and nfs-utils was
  added.

- The initramfs has been refactored. We no longer depend on specifying
  alpine_dev as boot option. Instead, the boot repositories and apkovl
  should be automatically found using the new nlplug-findfs tool.

- We now only ship boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg which work for any boot
  media (cdrom, usb...). The boot/syslinux/isolinux.cfg has been
  removed.

- We should now specify modloop path as boot option. This is strictly
  not needed, as the refactored modloop init.d script will try hard to
  find any modloop image. This is for backwards compat.

- The iso images are now isohybrids, so you can create bootable usb
  images with dd. Those can not be used for tmpfs-installs as you
  cannot store any apkvol here. You can still use this with
  setup-bootable, like you do when booting from cdrom.

I would appreciate help with testing:

- boot from usb, using setup-bootable and real hardware. Test that you
  can store apkovl with 'lbu commit'. Do this with:
  - alpine image
  - vanilla image
  - extended image
  - xen image

- test that alpine xen can boot domUs

- test upgrading from v3.2 to v3.3.

- test various different disk install combinations, eg lvm on raid, lvm
  without raid, raid without lvm.

Any other testing is also appreciated. Specially on different kind of
hardware.

Thanks!