Re: [alpine-devel] udev replacement on Alpine Linux

From: <u-ztsd_at_aetey.se>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 16:38:04 +0100

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 10:51:25AM -0200, Alan Pillay wrote:
> Due to other priorities, the udev replacement has been postponed, but
> now Sören Tempel came up with this idea again. He also proposes smdev
> to be shipped with next major Alpine Linux version - 3.4.0 - which is
> expected to be released in about 4 months.
> For this reason, I think it is good to reconsider this subject and
> restart this conversation.
> Natanael, do you believe smdev is mature enough to be used implemented
> on Alpine Linux as the default device manager? What about the
> accompanying software, nldev and nlmon? If something is missing, what
> is it exactly? Would the developers of smdev, nldev and nlmon be
> willing to help with the transaction from udev to their lightweight
> alternatives?

I would love to get rid of udev but isn't libudev the harder part?

Would you summarize in which ways smdev is better than mdev, I do not find
the corresponding documentation (studying the source is expensive, even
for such a compact program).

The smdev license is more free, what are the other differences?

The README says
"mostly compatible with mdev but doesn't have all of its features"

which looks like "almost as good as mdev", then why replace mdev?

Rune