Re: [alpine-devel] Re: Download page tooltips are wrong

From: Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 18:37:30 -0800

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 11:54:53AM -0200, Alba Pompeo wrote:
> First, I agree completely in avoiding javascript. I even disable it
> entirely on my browser. Javascript goes agains Alpine ideals I think
> :)
>
> I think to group images by flavor is the best. And make the standard
> ISOs more prominent. Those are what everyone is looking for, most of
> the time.
>
> Don't know about displaying them all on the same page or using a
> collapsable boxes (pure CSS). As there are just a few ISOs maybe
> there's no need for drop-down box.
>
> For the description, I don't know. Maybe it will make the page more
> cluttured if it isn't just the tool-tips?

I'd think that if you have images grouped by flavor, it might make sense
to have the flavor description either in less prominent text (above or
below the flavor group), or else in a footnote.

Of the versions that are available now, it would be nice to give
descriptions for what's in 'standard', 'extended', 'vanilla', and 'xen'.
(Personally, I'd wish for more than tooltips: I use links.)
Specifically: are they kernel.org or grsec-based, are they minimal
or less minimal, and *what* makes them less minimal.

It would also be nice to have some notice that these are for liveCDs,
but installable, are strictly text-mode, and had isohybrid run on them.

For example:
All ISOs are isohybrid images that can be run live and used for installation.
None of these are graphical.

Standard: a minimal grsec-based CD

Extended: Has loads of extra networking tools and some other utilities.

Xen: A minimal grsec-based CD that you can use as a Xen dom0

Vanilla: Minimal, but with vanilla Linux instead of grsec.

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham