[alpine-devel] remove ruby-* packages?

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 16:54:53 +0200

Hi,

I wonder if there are any good reason to *not* purge the ruby-*
packages?

There are many good reasons to do it:

- upstream generally does not support distro packaging, instead, they
  prefer that `gem` package manager is used instead.
- many of the ruby-* packages are broken
- its very time consuming to upgrade things
- its very easy to break things when upgrading
- its almost impossible to provide security fixes for the distro
  packaged ruby-*

If there are any good reason to keep the ruby-* packages, then I'd like
to know, before I purge them.