Re: [alpine-devel] SSD on Alpine Linux

From: Leo Unglaub <leo_at_leo-unglaub.net>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 16:49:46 +0200

Hey,

On 05/27/16 15:41, Alba Pompeo wrote:
> Hello. My notebook`s HDD just died, so I'm thinking about buying a
> Kingston 60 GB SSD to replace it.
> Does it work fine on Alpine? Is there TRIM support? Is installation
> the same or should I go without swap partition? etc...

you can use whatever drive you want. Alpine does not care. As long as
the adapter is the same. (So basically every SSD out there should work)

You can use swap if you want. I would recommend for a noteboot around
1GB of swap. Its not needed, but its nice to have in some cases.

You can use Trim as well, but i am not sure if i would recommend it.
Some people love it, others have proven that modern SSD's dont care
about it. If you use btrfs as your filesystem just use the "defaults"
options, the SSD detection is pretty good.

Greetings
Leo