[alpine-devel] Python 3 in Alpine 3.5

From: Bartłomiej Piotrowski <b_at_bpiotrowski.pl>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2016 12:29:17 +0200

Hi all,

we already discussed Python 3 support at least 3 times. As we recently
released new stable series, edge is again open for all happy breakage
so let's make use of it.

Before I start though, I ran a simple grep on aports and it turns out
there are 575 packages providing various Python libraries. I think this
is much beyond our resources to keep all of them up to date, including
possible security fixes. Following recent Ruby example, I would love to
limit this set to only very popular libraries (Flask, Requests, etc) and
these that require to be patched to successfully build (numpy). I can
also
see an exception for all compiled libraries. The question is how to
measure
popularity; if that becomes a concern, I would rather drop all pure
Python
modules instead.

I have no idea what to do with tools. We probably should leave them with
dependencies, preferably using Python 3.

With all of the above done, it would ease Python 3 transition a lot. I
am
thinking of renaming all py-* packages to py2-* and then add py3-*
subpackages where applicable. Then we can open a champagne bottle and
celebrate.

I want to gather your opinions before I start pushing anything to
master.

Bartłomiej