Re: [alpine-devel] Python 3 in Alpine 3.5

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2016 12:12:28 +0200

On Thu, 02 Jun 2016 12:29:17 +0200
Bart*omiej Piotrowski <b_at_bpiotrowski.pl> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> we already discussed Python 3 support at least 3 times. As we recently
> released new stable series, edge is again open for all happy breakage
> so let's make use of it.
>
> Before I start though, I ran a simple grep on aports and it turns out
> there are 575 packages providing various Python libraries. I think this
> is much beyond our resources to keep all of them up to date, including
> possible security fixes. Following recent Ruby example, I would love to
> limit this set to only very popular libraries (Flask, Requests, etc) and
> these that require to be patched to successfully build (numpy). I can
> also
> see an exception for all compiled libraries. The question is how to
> measure
> popularity; if that becomes a concern, I would rather drop all pure
> Python
> modules instead.

The difference between python and ruby module packages is that python
are much easier to package an maintain. Upgrading python packages is
fast too, so I actually don't mind keeping then.

Ruby packages on the other hand was almost impossible to maintain,
which is why they got removed.

> I have no idea what to do with tools. We probably should leave them with
> dependencies, preferably using Python 3.

I suppose the biggest job is to figure out what to keep and what to
remove. I suspect there will be complains as soon as we start remove
python packages. There were very few complains when we removed ruby, I
suspect that nobody used them (because they were likely broken).

> With all of the above done, it would ease Python 3 transition a lot. I
> am
> thinking of renaming all py-* packages to py2-* and then add py3-*
> subpackages where applicable. Then we can open a champagne bottle and
> celebrate.
>
> I want to gather your opinions before I start pushing anything to
> master.

Sounds good. so to repeat:

1. clean up. (figure out what we can remove and remove it)
2. rename py-* to py2-*
3. add py3-*