Re: [alpine-devel] Python 3 in Alpine 3.5

From: Sander Maijers <s.n.maijers_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2016 17:20:53 +0200

Hi all,

I use a lot of Python including Aports, and would not mind if they
were all removed. It would be good though if documentation is provided
how to get up and running installing python packages. E.g.
ca-certificates must be installed first for pip to work properly with
PyPI.

You can measure popularity by checking the number of downloads of
Python Aports. This will give a more direct measure than general
popularity, namely the likelihood that Alpine Linux users will be
dissatisfied once those Aports are no longer available. Please check
who is currently maintaining py3 Aports and query them, as they may be
more offended if Aports are removed without a lot of consultation than
users in general.

I also think Jiri's idea is interesting. For this apk extension, do
consider defaulting to the pip options:
--disable-pip-version-check
--isolated
--no-cache-dir