Re: [alpine-devel] Python 3 in Alpine 3.5

From: Bartłomiej Piotrowski <b_at_bpiotrowski.pl>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2016 19:15:12 +0200

On 2016-06-03 12:12, Natanael Copa wrote:
> The difference between python and ruby module packages is that python
> are much easier to package an maintain. Upgrading python packages is
> fast too, so I actually don't mind keeping then.

It's easier because Python modules rarely enforce dependencies versions
on runtime. It doesn't mean we don't have possible issues now, but I
generally agree that it is not so bad.

> I suppose the biggest job is to figure out what to keep and what to
> remove. I suspect there will be complains as soon as we start remove
> python packages. There were very few complains when we removed ruby, I
> suspect that nobody used them (because they were likely broken).

There are some packages that are surely very popular in the community or
as a dependency. Setuptools, packaging, requests, Flask, Django,
urllib3, pip, six, jinja, yaml, cffi, unit tests libraries, Pillow,
Sphinx, to name a few… It sounds better to me to start from "scratch"
basing on requests from users than carefully check each of 576 py-*
packages we have now.

Bartłomiej