Re: [alpine-devel] Python 3 in Alpine 3.5

From: Sander Maijers <s.n.maijers_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2016 11:22:32 +0200

These numbers do help to find out what Aports you could remove without
much objection. I've personally installed Python package Aports just
because they existed(!), favoring them over installing using pip and
making sure any cache files are cleaned. This does not mean I think it
is wise to use them in general. The numbers are just informative,
since the reason for this proposal is not mainly lack of popularity,
but the maintenance overhead of keeping too many Python package
Aports. Pip must first be installed for Python 2, BTW, another reason
for using Aports instead. My only independent motivation for
installing Python package OS packages is if they depend on native
libraries that could well be installed OS-wide separately and that you
may want to switch between, such as Numpy and a BLAS library. I do
that on Arch Linux. I think the latter should be the criterion for
keeping Python packages as Aports: only if they have significant
dependencies that are covered by Aports, that are ultimately not
Python packages themselves.