[alpine-devel] smdev

From: Cág <caoc_at_riseup.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2016 18:36:52 +0300

Hi there,

I was politely asked to report it to here, so there it is.

On my systemd-less experimental Debian installation I got rid of udev
(almost completely, some programmes still require libudev1) to use
smdev.
It works and I think tis stable enough. Hotplugging works with USB
(haven't tried with PCI though, it's a laptop!), I can even mount
without root
using udevil like it was with udev. I heard Alpine is going to adopt
some of
the suckless software and smdev is one of them.

The fact is though, you can't just "make install" and run it; for me
it required working with xorg.conf and rc.local; also there is a need
for writing
an init script (I use sysvinit right now but have plans for sinit).
Anyway,
these are details.

If you have any questions and/or experiments I could do with it, please
ask.
I'm subscribed to the lists (alpine-user also).

Cheers and have a good weekend,
Cág