Re: [alpine-devel] smdev

From: Jakub Jirutka <jakub_at_jirutka.cz>
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2016 13:45:36 +0200

Hi Cág,

I wonder, what are the differences between mdev and smdev? What are the benefits of smdev for end users?

I currently see one significant drawback - smdev (and all other suckless projects) doesn't support textual configuration files. This approach doesn't go well with binary distributions; users can't simply change any settings. I understand the reasons behind using header files for config, but the fact is that it's not very convenient for users.

Jakub