Mail archive

Re: [alpine-devel] smdev

From: Cág <>
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2016 16:35:01 +0300

Jakub Jirutka wrote:

> I wonder, what are the differences between mdev and smdev? What are
> the benefits of smdev for end users?

smdev is IIRC a fork of mdev (or maybe was, probably it was rewritten)
that is compatible with it [0], though it doesn't have all its features.
The benefits are: you don't need BusyBox for it and it is smaller
(almost thrice as short in terms of LOC). It does what it says -
manages device nodes, and does it well.

> I currently see one significant drawback - smdev (and all other
> suckless projects) doesn't support textual configuration files. This
> approach doesn't go well with binary distributions; users can't simply
> change any settings. I understand the reasons behind using header
> files for config, but the fact is that it's not very convenient for
> users.

For me, it's rather an advantage. Once configured you go with it.
I've never modified my udev rules, they always worked for me and with
smdev I use
the default config.h because it works just fine. Anyway, if users need
modify the rules, I'd put the source inside /usr/src and let them do it

By the way, I don't know why Alpine doesn't use mdev, to me it seems to
be the
most appropriate variant (or does it? I heard it uses eudev. I currently
no chance to check it out).

If ye need more info about smdev, please consult the link down below and
the code.
Also, write to dev at suckless dot org, since I am not an smdev