Mail archive

Re: [alpine-devel] smdev

From: Shiz <>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2016 16:41:07 +0200

> On 03 Jul 2016, at 16:13, Jakub Jirutka <> wrote:
>> I agree with Cág about the absence of textual configuration files. It’s an advantage because it keeps complexity down.
> Yes, but just until you need to change something…
>> Almost no user will change their smdev config options…
> Maybe I’m biased here because I’ve already needed to modify the Alpine’s mdev.conf several times.
>> But if the user really wants to, I see no problem with config.def.h
> This means to recompile the smdev binary (note: you need gcc). Then you can install it directly from the sources and it’ll be the same, i.e. you will not benefit from aport. Overwriting binaries managed by apk is really not a good practice IMO.

I agree with this. I’m hardly an Alpine power user and had to change mdev.conf
a few times as well. User recompilation of package manager-provided binaries,
which also requires the ton of dependencies a compiler brings in and any
dependencies smdev itself has, on a binary distro is simply a not done for me.

- Shiz