Re: [alpine-devel] smdev

From: Cág <caoc_at_riseup.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2016 17:52:33 +0300

> ncopa said he would welcome sbase [0] and ubase [1] once they are
> stable, because of its advantages (such as correct handling of UTF-8).

I was just going to write everything you did, but you were first :)

Yes, certainly, there is absolutely no need to have multiple udevs in one system,
I was talking about foreseeable future, like sbase/ubase were already
adopted.

> (e)udev’s monster complexity is needed maybe just for desktops
> if at all (not sure, I don’t use Linux on desktop).

Mmm, BSD :3

> The average user doesn't know what's mdev/smdev/etc and won't need to
> change the Alpine sane defaults. That's how I see it...

The average user also doesn't use Alpine, isn't it for "power users"?‎ [0]

> What features does it miss exactly? I can’t find in on the provided page or inside the smdev’s repository.

All I can say is to compare the code. I've never used mdev before and am not aware of all its
features.

I also don't think that smdev should be provided by the package manager.
(just like the base system)
Why would you remove it, and if you need, go to /usr/src and make uninstall.
Luckily, suckless has always provided uninstall rule for all its software.

Cág

[0]: http://alpinelinux.org/about/

PS Lads, there is no need to send me a copy, I'm subscribed.