Re: [alpine-devel] smdev

From: Shiz <hi_at_shiz.me>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2016 17:04:50 +0200

> On 03 Jul 2016, at 16:52, Cág <caoc_at_riseup.net> wrote:
>
>> The average user doesn't know what's mdev/smdev/etc and won't need to
>> change the Alpine sane defaults. That's how I see it...
>
> The average user also doesn't use Alpine, isn't it for "power users"?‎ [0]

That should be no reason to make things annoying on purpose.

> I also don't think that smdev should be provided by the package manager.
> (just like the base system)
> Why would you remove it, and if you need, go to /usr/src and make uninstall.
> Luckily, suckless has always provided uninstall rule for all its software.

I frequently keep a fully static /dev on my servers, in which I don’t need
a device manager at all. So yes, I’d like to remove it.

I don’t think a distro with a package manager is right for you judging from
this comment. Maybe something like BSD’s ports is more up your ally?

- Shiz