Re: [alpine-devel] smdev

From: Jakub Jirutka <jakub_at_jirutka.cz>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2016 17:12:32 +0200

>> I was talking about foreseeable future, like sbase/ubase were already adopted.

Well, but you didn’t write it, this is quite important circumstance. ;)

>> The average user also doesn't use Alpine, isn't it for "power users"?‎ [0]

(Un)fortunately (polarity depends on PoV) this isn’t true anymore, since Docker started using Alpine for their images. Docker users usually aren’t “power users.” They often don’t even understand what is libc and that Oracle JDK, that is distributed just as a strange BLOB compiled against glibc, really can’t work on Alpine (I’m not kidding, this is really very common issue).

>> All I can say is to compare the code. I’ve never used mdev before and am not aware of all its features.

Okay, so we don’t even know what will not work on smdev, because there isn’t even proper documentation… I still see more drawbacks than advantages.

>> I also don’t think that smdev should be provided by the package manager. (just like the base system)

The base system actually *is* provided by package manager. Everything in Alpine is provided as a package (aport). You can easily install fully functional base Alpine system in chroot just using `apk.static install alpine-base` in ~2 seconds (see [1], [2], or [3] for example; apk.static is a statically linked binary). BTW, this is really awesome.

>> Why would you remove it, and if you need, go to /usr/src and make uninstall.

Once again, Alpine is not Linux From Scratch…

Jakub

[1]: https://github.com/jirutka/aports/blob/edge/.travis/install-alpine
[2]: https://github.com/alpinelinux/aports/blob/master/.travis/install-alpine
[3]: https://github.com/lxc/lxc/blob/master/templates/lxc-alpine.in